Monday 29 October 2012

A Day Off



I have a day off tomorrow. Not just a day off from work, a day off from everything. “WHAT?!” I hear you cry. Yes, really. Jess has gone to stay with her grandparents for half term, and my partner is going to visit his family overnight. I could have gone with him but it would have meant he couldn’t leave until I got back from work today, and anyway, I’m looking forward to having time to myself for once.

Don’t get me wrong, I adore my family, of course I do. I count the hours until I can get home to them, and if they were away for long, I don’t know how I’d cope. But I doubt I’m alone when I say I occasionally long for a day where I don’t have to think about anyone but myself.

I’m going to ignore the mountain of ironing that looks like the north face of the Eiger. I’m not touching the washing, the dusting, the general tidying, getting the hoover out or washing the car.

If I can leave the housework alone, I’ve got so many plans. I’m going to start with a lie in. Remember those? I don’t care if I wake up at 6am as usual; I’m still going to stay in bed until at least 9, just because I can. I’m going to have a lazy breakfast, then go into town and window shop, gather ideas for Christmas and maybe pick up a few stocking fillers. I might meet a friend for coffee. I’m going to visit the library and choose a film that I fancy but which the rest of the family would hate. I’m going to take myself out for lunch. Then I’m going to tramp through the woods and collect some bits and pieces to dry for my Christmas crafts.  

Early evening, I’m to have a long, hot bath rather than the 60 second shower I normally get. I’m going to give myself a manicure and a pedicure, and cuddle up in my comfiest pyjamas. I’m going to break out the chocolate and watch my film. I’m going to have an early night with a good book. Ah, it makes me feel relaxed just thinking about it.

Of course, it wouldn’t take long to put the washing in. And I really should hang it out before I go into town. And there is the grocery shopping to do. And I could just pop the hoover round. Now, where did I put the iron?

No comments:

Post a Comment